Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring Equinox

Happy Spring! Actually, I have a strange reservation about spring. I'm always a little grumpy about it every year. That's strange, I know. I love everything about it in theory: the extra light, the warmth, the plants, the strange weather and on and on. But ever since I was a child I've resented the birds, how everyone is suddenly so much happier just because of the weather, and how everyone suddenly becomes an extrovert. I know, I know, it doesn't make any sense so now I just pretend to be happy about spring. 

I literally just finished planting tender, tiny seedling in the garden about four minutes ago and now it's hailing hard in the completely blue sky. So, that's a little ridiculous. I guess I have a new more logical reason to dislike spring, and that is the difficulty of gardening in the strange season. Last night I accidentally left the lid off the cold frame and all the seedlings got a hefty dose of frost. Some survived, some didn't. We had a little gathering for the equinox in the yard last night. It hailed in the clear sky, of course, but we stuck it out and got a few hours of warmth by the fire and some charred and stale marshmellows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment