Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Rainy weather doesn't usually get me down. You can't think that way when you live in a rain forest. But it's been grey and rainy for weeks now. I mean, come on July. I swear I spotted some mould in the densest garden plot the other day. Weird insects are breeding in the calendular and cabbage; I'm a little squeamish every time I got out there. The cherries are rotting on the tree. How do farmers do it? How do they just fret at the window watching their survival means disintegrate in flood, drought, infestation? Anyhow, between our amateur garden and my mother's impressive permaculture set-up we're still getting a decent yield. Last night we ate peas, potatoes, kale, rosemary and radishes from the garden. We've been enjoying the handfuls of cherries off the tree that we can actually reach and are taking advantage of the neighbourhood farms' successes as well. Right now the sun is making a fair effort above heavy low-lying rain clouds; outside we go for a bit of vit D.

No comments:

Post a Comment