Thursday, March 24, 2011

yesterday i finally got out in the garden. i haven't played around in the dirt for way too long, my steadfast ambitions to have a community plot in montreal unfulfilled. it felt pretty good to be out there. it was so quiet and still. the garden borders the forest and i kept catch little creatures out of the corner of my eye and could here the rattle of a raven somewhere above me. we're getting ready to put in peas, and we transplanted our sixty tomato seedlings into sterilized pots this afternoon, then we'll start tackling the explosion of landscaping. the garden is intended to triple in size; there is talk of trucking in extra soil. the main goal for me this summer is to plant and harvest enough food to almost live off it. we even have some wheat and quinoa seeds as an experiment. i have the daily challenge of entertaining the little picano, who is more than eager to put everything in his mouth from dirt to electrical cables, especially now that alex is working pretty much full time. yesterday i strapped sebastian to my back while i potted seedlings and he spent the hour or so head-butting my shoulder blades and giving my shirt raspberries. i'm happy to know that as he starts eating more and more food that a lot of it will soon come straight from the garden. he seems to be quite at home out in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment