Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sebi & Tigger
the garden store cat that we're in love with 

These two beasts are Galeaux D'esyines pumpkins I started from seed a month or two ago. Apparently our house has enough natural light to start seedlings just fine. They're almost outgrowing their one gallon pots and starting to flower... Trouble is that squash can't go outside on the West Coat until late May or June. They've been living on our kitchen windowsill, but they're getting a little jungle-big for the house. 

So, I'm doing a pumpkin experiment. I put one of the three in the ground yesterday. It's in a raised rock bed, the soil feels pretty warm and I put this plastic around it to further warm up the soil. Add some cedar branches and some fleece cloche and voila... 

A very ugly tent. 
Well, what can you do. So far, it seems perfectly happy despite the low temp last night. This could revolutionize our squash growing. I've had lots of pumpkin nay-sayers giving me advice these days, but I think we'll show them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment