Wednesday, April 6, 2011

unraveling

I've been meaning to knit Sebastian a sweater for a long, long time and I finally did it. I followed the Baby Sophisticate pattern on ravelry. Despite the warnings that this pattern ran a tad too small, and the fact that this kid is so very round, I went for it. The result? A too-small sweater on my oh so round baby. Oh well! He's been wearing it around (collar and bottonless, ie unfinished) but as soon as it starts looking ridiculously small or until I find a new pattern, get the motivation, or figure out the mathematics to redo it in a bigger size, I'm just going to unravel it. I have become an avid unraveler in the knitting realm. The way I see it is, why would I want to be stuck with something ugly, awkwardly sentimental, a reminder of a failed project just because it's homemade? I'd rather recycle the material, get some extra practice and end up with a project I actually feel good about. In the same vein, I tend to unravel works-in-progress if I discover I've made a mistake. I've been known to undo and reknit almost an entire sweater, and rework a pair of mittens, oh, about four times before I'm satisfied. It's not a matter of perfection, it's a matter of practicality. If I want a creative and folksy project I draw instead. Drawings take up less space, and I don't believe in erasers.

No comments:

Post a Comment