Friday, June 22, 2012

Oh, it's been so long since I wrote. I didn't mean to lapse this long.
Tonight felt like a damp October evening. I alone stood in the taco stand for a long, long time watching the rain fall on the harbour, the lamps click on, only the very odd person stroll down to buy fish from the boat with their umbrella in hand. Days like these are bad for business and bad for spirits. After so many months of rain, you just want sun, and you can't believe the weather will ever break. I cleaned up early, got on the old bike and came home to a sleepy kid who stayed up to say goodnight.
There have been summer-esque days, but summer hasn't started yet. We haven't swan in the ocean yet. We've had just enough sunshine to keep the garden alive, though we spend every day, all day, outside in the yard. Sebastian especially. I watch him through the kitchen door while I make bread or wash the dishes. He's got a meticulous garden set-up out there: pots of earth, springs of oregano and chives "growing," a broom, a mighty shovel which he heaves around. He helps himself to strawberries and herbs. He plays in the yard for hours at a time.
He's increasingly independent, this boy of ours. He's acquired entitlement to three main household facets lately: the fridge, the toilet, and the taps. These are common sounds around the house: fridge door opening, closing, then little grunts and "oohh heavy, heavy, oooohh" as I see him round the corner with a big jar of peanut butter or half a watermelon; the sound of him peeing in his potty then lifting the toilet seat, pouring his pee into the toilet, then flushing the toilet (too my water-saving chagrin); and finally, that infamous trickle of water that I can often tune out for ages without realizing that the tap is running. He's learning so many words, sometimes several a day, and putting together little sentences. He still uses his baby sign for some words, which I love for some reason.
Last night we celebrated the summer solstice with friends around the fire, salmon and salad from the garden. I also made a raw key lime pie which I have been a bit obsessed with. This house is great for (good) company. We have so much space, and enough nooks and crannies that everyone can find their place and feel at home. I came inside throughout the evening to find Uma and Isla had made a fort under the big farm-house kitchen table with pillows and blankets, while Sebastian and Caskey jumped on the bed in the "club house" (as Caskey calls the cabin). I think it's really good for kids to have their own space to interact with. Maybe that's one reason I love watching Sebastian so involved in his world outside. I had so much unstructured space as a child,  one where I could disappear into a world without adults, without control, without meddling. One without toys-- just objects that can become anything. I think kids these days are losing that a bit, but from what I see, these moments are where kids learn to be together properly and figure out all those tough but beautiful lessons that remain so poignant throughout life.






No comments:

Post a Comment